As part of our suite of measurement services, Galetech now offers LIDAR wind measurement in Ireland and across the world offering a full support package including LIDAR rental, LIDAR installation, off grid power supply design/installation and ongoing data management.
LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) is an optical remote sensing technique that measures both vertical and horizontal wind speeds and direction based on laser signals backscattered by particles in the atmosphere. Galetech implements this state-of-the-art technology to provide wind farm developers, operators, owners and investors with wind measurements across their wind farm projects.
Some of the key benefits of using LIDAR over conventional met masts are:
- Easy to transport
- Easy to install due to their compact design (typically 1 day)
- Can be installed on terrain that is not suitable for a met mast
- Reduce measurement uncertainty by measuring higher than a met mast (Up to 300m above ground level)
- Reduce measurement uncertainty by mobilising several measurements across a wind farm project
- No planning permits required
- Off grid power supply
More information on our recent Kenya LIDAR campaign can be found here.