Kipeto Wind Farm
Client: Kipeto Energy Ltd. (Shareholders: Craftskills, International Finance Corporation (IFC), African Infrastructure Investment Managers (AIIM))
Location: Kajiado county, Kenya
Capacity: 100.8 MW
Service: Development support and full preconstruction owner’s engineer (technical & commercial advisor) services
Galetech Energy Services was appointed by Kipeto Energy Ltd to provide support to take this project from initial feasibility through its development phase through to financial close.
The project required the conclusion of the planning process and identification and selection of the key contractors against a tight timescale and challenging planning constraints. An interesting challenge to this project was the inclusion of a 17km 220kV overhead line in the developer’s scope to connect to the national grid, which was included under the EPC contract for the project.
We provided the expertise of analysts, engineers, environmental specialists and financial specialists led by a project management team to provide:
- Technical support to achieve full planning consent
- Project management and project planning
- Concept design evaluation, including access and transport
- Ground investigation specification and monitoring
- Financial model evaluation and power purchase agreement negotiation
- Engineer, procure, construct (EPC) tender specification & employer’s requirements and tender process management
- Financial close support including lender’s engineer liaison
- Tender/procurement management, evaluation and contract management for approximately 80 houses to relocate local landowners
Kipeto Energy Limited (KEL) have been extremely satisfied with the performance of Galetech. We have found Galetech to be exceptionally proactive in their approach with a profound knowledge in all aspects of wind energy projects. We have been particularly impressed with their responsiveness and collaborative teamwork approach. We would be happy to recommend Galetech as an advisor to any wind farm developer.
Tony Vanengelen, Kipeto Project Director African Infrastructure Investment Managers